You may be surprised to learn that many people feel nervous or stressed leading up to or during a dental appointment. There are even some who’s anxiety goes so far as to be described as a phobia. Their fear of the dentist will lead them to do whatever they can to avoid visiting a dental office.
There are many things that can lead to dental anxiety. Some of the more common causes are:
– The fear of discomfort or pain.
– Feelings of loss of control or helplessness. Some people become anxious because they can’t see what’s going on and cannot predict what will cause discomfort.
– Negative experiences. If an individual has experienced discomfort or pain during a past dental procedure, they are likely to feel more nervous the next time they visit the dentist.
It is very important that you talk to us about any dental fears that you are experiencing. Dr. Michael J. Conway and our team can work with you to ensure your comfort when you visit our office. There are also things you can do to reduce stress and anxiety, including relaxation techniques like:
– Deep breathing.
– Progressive relaxation, during which you relax each muscle or area of your body one at a time.
– Distracting yourself. You can bring music and earbuds to our office.
To learn more and to schedule a reservation with our dentist in Kenmore, Washington, contact Kenmore Dental today at 425-485-0588.